MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to say individual, but please feel free to disagree with the following:

You have to dive in pairs at least, so if an anchor comes up you can each count it as one. Which is beneficial to those who may not dive together all the time. If you find it and don't want to share with your buddy that's fine too (I'd probably share the win if it were me, I'd want to keep my nice buddy nice).
T and I were buddies about 6 feet apart the whole time and I found 2 and he 1. It's not that complicated and you can't share anchors.

I am comfortable that the record set on Feb 6th 2010 with 18 anchors from one hole by four Select divers will not be broken anytime soon.  8) Here is a link to "The Mother of All Anchor Dives":

That was a good day.
Terry to avoid problems may I suggest not wearing those nylons and red shoes at the airport - lord knows what the TSA guys might think.  :Smile

Which airlines are you taking to Belize and where did you book through? My friend and I are thinking about that trip too.
I only count 16. What is that little thing, is that a soup can full of cement!!! >Sad "Soup can" anchor, no way, I don't buy that. At best it was a hand lead used as depth finder, probably for ice fishing.

I am comfortable that the record set on Feb 6th 2010 with 18 anchors from one hole by four Select divers will not be broken anytime soon.  8) Here is a link to "The Mother of All Anchor Dives":

[/quote]

I think the soup can you mentioned is a tiny bit bigger than a soup can but still not an anchor. Its probably not even a "Utah anchor" but it could be part of an anchor system called an anchor sentinel. Here is a short blurb from wikipedia about anchor sentinels:

Using an anchor weight, kellet or sentinel
Lowering a concentrated, heavy weight down the anchor line – rope or chain – directly in front of the bow to the seabed, behaves like a heavy chain rode and lowers the angle of pull on the anchor.[12] If the weight is suspended off the seabed it acts as a spring or shock absorber to dampen the sudden actions that are normally transmitted to the anchor and can cause it to dislodge and drag. In light conditions, a kellet will reduce the swing of the vessel considerably. In heavier conditions these effects disappear as the rode becomes straightened and the weight ineffective. Known as a "anchor chum weight" or "angel" in the UK.

I realize that some of you may not see as many anchors as others this winter, so I thought I would add a link to the WIKI description of anchors so that you will know what you are looking for >Big Grin. We can discuss this in detail in the winners circle (I will be the guy in the center  Wink )

BS alert! Are you seriously trying to sell the idea that someone on Green Lake in 15 feet of water actually deployed a sentinel or kellet! I know them and I've used them (careful or the kellet will foul your danforth) but they are not common and not needed in Green Lake. That was a soup can. If size isn't a factor my shirt buttons look surprisingly like Utah mushroom anchors.

I think the soup can you mentioned is a tiny bit bigger than a soup can but still not an anchor. Its probably not even a "Utah anchor" but it could be part of an anchor system called an anchor sentinel. Here is a short blurb from wikipedia about anchor sentinels:

Using an anchor weight, kellet or sentinel
Lowering a concentrated, heavy weight down the anchor line – rope or chain – directly in front of the bow to the seabed, behaves like a heavy chain rode and lowers the angle of pull on the anchor.[12] If the weight is suspended off the seabed it acts as a spring or shock absorber to dampen the sudden actions that are normally transmitted to the anchor and can cause it to dislodge and drag. In light conditions, a kellet will reduce the swing of the vessel considerably. In heavier conditions these effects disappear as the rode becomes straightened and the weight ineffective. Known as a "anchor chum weight" or "angel" in the UK.

I realize that some of you may not see as many anchors as others this winter, so I thought I would add a link to the WIKI description of anchors so that you will know what you are looking for >Big Grin. We can discuss this in detail in the winners circle (I will be the guy in the center  Wink )

[/quote]
I had ta try  :Smile

John, none of the judges have yet actually weighed in on the exact count, of "actual" anchors from "the mother of all anchor dives". But trying to call that pop can with a hook in it, an anchor sentinel, all I can say to that is, glad I still have my work boots on.  Steve, do you remember what was the maximum depth of Green Lake? Perhaps they were trying to hold back a 45' Sea Ray in a storm on Green Lake and all they had to add for a sentinel was that Cambell Soup container and a cup and a half of "quick set". Maybe it was a little storm, maybe Johns onto something, or do we need to set a minimum weight of what can be refered to as an anchor, Utah or not?  Wink      TRINITY