MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the anchor challenge was about who could get on TV first, right? So Terry you win. Sorry Isanti, you lost.

The video story, what a joke. We set up away from everyone and set our flag. Then told those closest what we were doing and got advice about the lake. One of the fishermen was IN our shack at the time watching and getting some stories about ice diving.

Who could of guessed, my 15 min. of fame and they dont even get my name, I think I'll go with the heading to the last section of the article Dennis Anderson wrote, about me coming over to their shack after I got back on the surface titled, "Meet the Monster"  >Big Grin
Sounds like good times guys

I am off the 13th - 23rd this month...I gotta get out and do an ICE dive observation (oh and hey what about that ICE dive party Terry??)...if any of you guys wouldnt mind me coming and hanging with you, can ya let me know when and where

Happy to lug around equipment, help out where I can and will bring some barley sodas and my grill.....??

Just watched that video part Kristen, ya I want to mess with fishermen from below the ice who have a $1.49 worth of hook and weight invested, while I breath a limited amount of air in a $1400. dry suit, just to see, who will make out better. Who writes this chit?     TRINITY

Nice, that Ice fisherman Probably got a personal best(largest) for the dive man species. haven't caught one of those yet, but maybee someday. did catch a surfer once, nearly  tore all my favorite gear up in the process of dragging my canoe with him till i flipped him over. he was lucky, as i made it over in time to help him out of all my heavy braided line that he was siting in.

you did better, and got more coverage than my zebra muscle discovery last summer, that didn't even make the front page!

every one I know is talking about this story! that issue will be a collectors set, I will probably put a copy on my bathroom wall!

ArcFlash, ArcFlash, ArcFlash... You are a funny guy Smile I did not know that getting on the news was one of the evolving bullet points of the challenge, but if it was, I am glad I was not associated with that media coverage. I may have had too strong of coffee this morning and it made me a little edgy so hear me out on this. With me not being there, I don't know the details, So what can we learn from that story?...
  • I am sure that prior to cutting the hole that the main dive rope was pulled out on the surface to ensure the fishermen free zone.
  • The main safety rope was probably 150' and the safety rope was probably at least 25' longer at 175' plus.

• I heard from a birdie that the diver was out at 200' after finding no anchors within the 150' radius. The dive radius could have been longer than 150' if the safety rope was 25' longer than the main... and if the surface was clear of fishermen.
  • If the fishermen came inside the intended radius after the diver was already down, what did the tender do to rectify the situation? Another birdie told me that the tender was distracted as he was telling dive stories to another fisherman at the time of the snagged diver.
  • If the diver did snag the fishing line(s), It would not be my first choice to hand my safety line up through the ice to a possibly drunk fisherman and give them a chance to cut the line or tie it off inside their house. (I would use one of my 3 cutting devices, located in the golden triangle, to cut the monofiliment and then go back to the hole and jack up the tender for not paying attention to the surface)

There were more things that went wrong with this dive than went right and if that is what it takes to be the first team to get media coverage... I am happy to be last in that department. I probably have my facts all messed up, but reading between the lines, thats the way I see it.

China Fever is fun to talk about later in the bar... if you survive. Don't let the challenge distract you from what you know is right.  Smile Arcflash, what is your GLSPS title?  ???
Here is where we are diving tomorrow. It is the east side of Forest Lake near Shadyland Point. There is a public access just East of where we will be but I am not sure if they plow it or not. We will be at the site at 7:00 AM and underwater by 9:00 AM. Feel free to stop by if your in the area and say hi. The coords to this public landing are: N45 16.082 W92 54.743
Directions from 35W are East on Scandia Trail (which is also 97) about 4 miles and then take a left on County Hwy 2 (which is also N Shore Trail North) about a mile or so to just past 219th St N. (about 3 houses past 219th St N) and the landing is on the left side. Once on the ice, we will be about 1/2 mile South SW from there in a blue pop up shelter.

Weather for Sunday, February 06:
On and off snow flurries are possible along with variably cloudy skies. High 27F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.  Smile

terry and I took a break from the challenge... to see some tonka wrecks.. got some video, but all my underwater video isnt on my eyefi card, so it takes more effort than auto upload Tongue great day for icing.

It’s a pretty funny story.  I have a question, however.  Why did you give the thumbs up signal?  What if the person fishing was a diver?  Most divers I know, especially those experienced in diving in overhead environments, interpret the thumbs up signal as meaning that you want to go to the surface.  And unless training standards and procedures have recently changed, the thumbs up signal invokes the golden rule, which of course is that any one can turn the dive at any time for any reason.  I’ve also treated it as a non-negotiable thing.  If I was the person fishing, and a diver gave me the thumbs up signal through a hole in the ice, I’d do everything possible to extract that diver from the water, being under the understanding that the diver wants out of the water.  I think a simple OK signal would be more appropriate in which one simply touches the tip of one’s index finger to the tip of one’s thumb.  - Kirk
                         WOW!
                    TV, the front page of the Mpls paper, and discussed on radio stations in 5 states, that I know of already. It amazes me that this is even news!  I have dove for more 30 years under the ice, in the caves of Fla and Mexico, on at last count over 137 different wrecks, (a month ago back to backs on both the Grove and the Vandenberg Wink) How have I suvived this long with 1000+ dives, must just be my damn good luck. We go icing every weekend all winter long, albeit with a skelton crew. If you hit decent diving as often as I do for as long as I have, your bound to have a unique encounter every now and then. Thats all I saw it as. Kirk I agree, now, that an ok sign was a better option, thanks for pointing it out, (and Steve and I would be HAPPY to each score a 5 pack of size 10 gloves if you ever put in another order.) John I would not have dreampt of cutting the fishmans lines, with either of my two cutting tools I had with. When I was taught to ice dive we were not allowed to have ANY cutting tool with, so two seems like enough now. I see it as my mistake that I hooked their lines, (pardon that sorry pun) and I saw it as my responsibility to not bother them any more then I already had, certinly not cut their lines too. The beers and offer to pay for any lost gear was nothing more then a peace offering. It does amaze me that this is news. It made me smile, it made the fisherman smile, sounds to me like a good day, just poor on anchor count. So thats where we are off to right now is Forest Lake to search the bottom,  after "searching"  did miss two out of three,  Sad for wrecks on Minnetonka yesterday.      TRINITY